Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Affordable Editing for Indie Authors

Image courtesy of Flickr via Creative Commons

All writers need editors.  If you’re an indie writer, you probably have to hire your own editor. We all like to think that we write perfect stories with error-free prose. However, the reality is that we are so close to our stories that we can’t always find our mistakes. It’s like thinking you have the perfect child while outsiders may think differently. Editors serve as outsiders. We need their objective eyes to see the flaws that escape us and affect the quality of our manuscripts.

Like everything else, editing can be expensive. If you are as broke as I am, this puts the brakes on your work in progress. If you are lucky, you have a friend who edits manuscripts. If you are incredibly fortunate, they’ll do it for free. Most of us don’t have that luxury. If you’re me, you scour your house for things to sell on eBay.  I really don’t need my bike right? It’s not like I ride it very often.  I think it’s worth enough to get the cash I need.

That’s where Hercules Editing & Consulting comes in. They have a basic editing service that covers spelling and grammar as well as consistency and details. When Dr. Beth Lynne edits your manuscript, she uses her sharp eye to weed out any mistakes with historical details. For example, I described a house as Victorian when it should have been Victorian-style. Such a small detail might have gone unnoticed by someone else.

The basic editing is $1.00 per page. I’ve seen many editors charge a minimum of $10.00 per page.  I once thought that that price was standard. Some might even consider it affordable. It put a big dent in my bank account. Hercules is just as good, if not better and I don’t have to choose between eating and editing. In addition to editing, they offer proofreading, formatting, and beta reading. More information about these services can be found at http://www.bzhercules.com/author_editing_services.html

And yes, I still have my bike. That's not to say I actually ride it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ArtPal: Buy Art & Sell Artwork Online | Buy Paintings Prints Photography

ArtPal: Buy Art & Sell Artwork Online | Buy Paintings Prints Photography : Visitor statistics for your art.