Friday, August 9, 2013

Revisiting 80s slang...to the max

A recent Internet search of slang terms from the 80s yielded some pretty colorful linguistic gems. I think that anyone who writes historical fiction should pepper the prose with the verbiage of the time they write in. Having grown up in the 80s, some of these came rushing right back and others I didn't recall. I don't remember ever calling someone Pac-Man for having a huge appetite. Some terms refused to die out with acid-wash jeans and parachute pants. So here goes...

duh, bitchin, wicked, chill, airhead, amped, fricking, lame, scumbag, space cadet, veg out, bimbette, bogart, grody, dude, dufus, yello, dickweed

And the popular phrases of that day-glo period of time...

I'm so sure, cool your jets, damn skippy, way cool, what's your damage? (my personal fave), book it, to the max, like, Oh my God, and of course eat my shorts (long live The Breakfast Club)


Also, I think it's important not to stuff stories with slang unless it's appropriate for the character. You want some to add color, but not so much that your book is overstuffed with Dude, cool your jets and stop being such a dickweed. All I wanted was to veg out and you bogart all the breathable air in the room. What's your damage? Nothing??? Eat my shorts dufus.

Any others I'm missing? I'd love to get more feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ArtPal: Buy Art & Sell Artwork Online | Buy Paintings Prints Photography

ArtPal: Buy Art & Sell Artwork Online | Buy Paintings Prints Photography : Visitor statistics for your art.