Thursday, August 1, 2013

Committed to my craft or just flat out crazy?

I'm a pretty visual person, so I really need pictures in order to write good descriptions. A serendipitous job interview placed me in the area of Houston my character lives and works, so I enlisted my camera and shutterbugged my heart out while wearing a dress and heels in 100+ degree weather. And yes, I looked like a tourist in the town I have called home since 1998. I have two settings of pivotal moments in the setup of my novel Miracle at Santa Anita. The beginning and the end are Houston-centric. The middle is in California, so I'm going to have to rely on other peoples' pictures and Internet research for that.

The Transco Tower, now the Williams Tower. I'll always call it the Transco Tower though:


Not a very easy picture to get because of the complete lack of decent parking in the area. People say Houston has the worst traffic. I am more bothered by the parking. So, I found a parking lot and hoped there were no tow trucks around. As luck would have it, they stick to the freeways. I darted across the street after checking for traffic and was able to get an unobstructed view of the building. Actually now that I've thought about it, I probably need to be committed to a padded room or a straightjacket for all this running around like a certain frog character in a video game. Then again, writers have never been what you call normal.

House of Pies, a Houston institution and favorite late night hangout for drunks once the bars and clubs have closed. There is actually a Hangover omelette on the menu. Go figure. I just had a hamburger and called it a day.




No comments:

Post a Comment

ArtPal: Buy Art & Sell Artwork Online | Buy Paintings Prints Photography

ArtPal: Buy Art & Sell Artwork Online | Buy Paintings Prints Photography : Visitor statistics for your art.