Monday, July 15, 2013

Why novelists should enter the BlueCat Screenplay Competition

Once upon a time, I wanted to be a screenwriter. I'm not sure why I thought a script was the best medium to tell my story. Scripts are on a different planet from novels in the storytelling universe. It's okay to offer up details and use lengthy prose if it serves your novel well. In contrast, screenplays are basically blueprints for movies. Details and prose may make it difficult to stay at 120 pages or less, which is the industry standard.

That is not to say that you shouldn't write a screenplay. On the contrary, it could change your life. A couple of years ago when I entered my script Miracle at Santa Anita into the BlueCat Screenplay Competition. For a $60 entry fee, you receive not just one, but two written analyses. You even have the opportunity to rewrite the script and resubmit it for a reduced fee. Each write-up is a very thorough assessment of your story and what its strengths and weaknesses are. My weakness was that my prose was too "novelistic," which I didn't take as an insult. I fleshed the characters out more and wrote a novel using BlueCat's feedback as a tool.

Gordy Hoffman founded BlueCat back in 1998, and since then it has grown into a one of the most recognized screenwriting competitions in the world with a community of over 13,000 writers. Past participants have gone on to secure industry deals and recognition. Aaron Guzikowski was a finalist in the 2005 competition with his script Prisoners. That script went thorough all the Hollywood channels and is set to come out in September with Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal in the starring roles.

If I haven't already gotten my point across, I'm just going to say BlueCat is awesome for writers, so JUST DO IT.

Go to http://www.bluecatscreenplay.com/ for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ArtPal: Buy Art & Sell Artwork Online | Buy Paintings Prints Photography

ArtPal: Buy Art & Sell Artwork Online | Buy Paintings Prints Photography : Visitor statistics for your art.