Thursday, May 2, 2013

Nightmare over

Since the beginning of January, we have been dealing with a major health crisis.  My 11 year old son became very ill.  He was diagnosed with an autoimmune condition called HSP that caused intestinal bleeding, severe abdominal pain, and a rash.  He was treated with steroids and gradually weaned off.  Unfortunately, he became sick again after going off the steroids.  Multiple hospital and clinic visits later, I became overly emotional and started crying in front of a doctor who proceeded to tell me that I needed to seek psychological counseling.  I guess when even the best doctors in the world can't tell you why your kid isn't getting better, where do you go?  What do you do?  For me, it was a turning point.  I resisted the urge to call that doctor some colorful four letter words.  Instead, I made the decision to switch my son to a gluten-free diet and see what happened.  At that point, I felt like I had nothing to lose.  The results have been phenomenal.  He hasn't been sick since last Thursday and he's healthier and happier than he was before he got sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ArtPal: Buy Art & Sell Artwork Online | Buy Paintings Prints Photography

ArtPal: Buy Art & Sell Artwork Online | Buy Paintings Prints Photography : Visitor statistics for your art.