Saturday, August 26, 2017

Blogging Harvey




I am holed up in my house for at least the next few days. Hurricane Harvey isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Even in Tropical Storm form, it is going to be brutal. My neighborhood is not in a flood prone area. Tropical Storm Allison had no impact on it. Hurricane Ike only managed to rip away a few shingles. This monster may be different. The full impact won't be known for several days. Evacuation would have made no sense because we are not in a coastal area that floods easily. We'd be in gridlock, running out of gas, and fending off road rage.

Found out today that there is no work on Monday. The building will be shut down. I work for a large insurance company as a claims adjuster and we cannot even make it in to work. That's when you know shit has truly gone sideways. It could even be Tuesday too. There's a lot of unknowns right now. Hurricanes are oxymoronic. Their arrival can be predicted but their path can be all over the place.

Since I am going to have some down time, I need to commit to doing some work that I haven't had time to do because of my day job. This blog post is a good start. Any other writing that falls into place is a bonus. Reading along with writing are two loves that get little attention. It's seven o'clock before I get home most evenings and by the time dinner is finished, there's a tiny slice of time for family before I shove off to bed and start all over.

Harvey sucks, but I am going to try to make the most of the situation. Hunkering down with the dogs, family, and a good book with a side of writing sounds nearly therapeutic. I appreciate what I have and  hope that others are able to stay safe during this catastrophic event. Houston and its residents have  weathered many terrible storms over the years and emerged stronger. This one will be no different. We will persevere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ArtPal: Buy Art & Sell Artwork Online | Buy Paintings Prints Photography

ArtPal: Buy Art & Sell Artwork Online | Buy Paintings Prints Photography : Visitor statistics for your art.